Thursday, June 02, 2005

SURPRISED AGAIN: WHERE HAS ALL THE TIME GONE?

Jerry Yang Larry Page & Sergey Brin

I don't watch a lot of TV, a trait that reflects less on my aesthetic development than the fact that I can't afford the ridiculous cable package that includes the History Channel. So what little I do watch on a regular basis consists for the most part of whatever fare Public Television is offering when I'm available to watch. One of my favorite programs on PBS is the Charlie Rose show; a commentator/host who always surprises me with the broad diversity of guests from all walks of life that he attracks to his table. On a recent segment he did a fascinating interview with Jerry Yang, cofounder of Yahoo, and for some time now a bright star in the rapidly evolving technology sector. By a strange coincidence that same day, one of the weekly U.S. news magazines (I believe it was Time) hosted Larry Page and Sergey Brin in an interview honoring these cofounders of Google as the "Persons of the Week". My attention would have been fully engaged regardless of the content and questions covered in these two media happenings airing it would appear by chance almost simultaneously, though on separate networks. But another noteworthy element added even more significance to the brew. Unbeknownst to the two program hosts sitting in studios across town the segments both drew to a close with these young wizards of capitalism being asked the same question; "Looking back on all the chaos and whirlwind that has been so much a part of the speed characterizing the growth of what started out as a youthful impetuous, albeit bold vision of what possibilities lay waiting to be brought to bloom, was there anything that you ever were confronted with on a personal level that took you by surprise, something that even with all your genius for foresight and bold vision you never had planned on?" In so many words their answers were earily similar. "We knew what was possible and what promise the future held, but we never came even close to realizing how fast it was all going to play out, at a speak that hardly permitted an adequate response." How often I feel that I am"dancing as fast as I can", barely able to keep up. I long for just the remembrace of a felt sense of being centered with a quiet mind that is my oft absent friend. This is my prayer, that from time to time, here and there, now and then, God will visit us with His grace and a portion of the coveted serenity our souls hunger for in the midst of this sojourn playing out to the background of such frenetic "interesting" times. I am grateful to all who share this "work" to help insure that the Center does indeed hold.
Blessings

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google
 
Web The Integral Path