Monday, May 09, 2005

THE PSYCHODYNAMIC

A. H. Almaas Posted by Hello


In The Inward Arc by Frances Vaughan she describes the growing phenomenon of people coming to psychotherapy for reasons that go beyond the need for healing, although that may be part of their motivation. Ken Wilber repeatedly warns us that no amount of meditation can come to the fullness of transforming our lives if pathologies remain that imprison our egos. As the familiar saying goes, "you have to have an ego before you can let go of it". Vaughan describes this as growth oriented therapy. Several years ago I came to a place in my meditation practice where I simply felt stuck. I don't know how else to describe it other than an intuitive sense that I needed the help of another adequately informed practitioner to nudge me in the right direction along the path. I had just finished reading Tony Schwartz's book What Really Matters which included his survey of the many therapy options then available to those interested in spiritual growth. His conclusion at that time was that the Diamond Approach as developed by A. H. Almaas was at the top of his list. Also known as Ridhwan therapy or "work" I proceeded to read a number of Almaas's books, probably the best known being the Diamond Heart series and my favorite Facets of Unity. I was fortunate enough to find someone in my area who had a psychotherapy practice based on the Diamond Heart approach and began what turned out to be a wonderful relationship as one of his students. Today I continue along this line, although with another therapist, with weekly sessions. Unfortunately among the general public, going to therapy still has a negative connotation associated with it. I overheard a close friend of mine in conversation with an office colleague of hers refer to my cherished Ridhwan therapist as "his head guy". This off hand comment hurt, but it came from the social norm that remains to this day the world of "flatland". I want to encourage anyone who takes their personal growth and development seriously to pursue growth therapy with enthusiasm even in the face of the circle of people in their life who may not understand. The hope of a fuller and more meaningful life for others may come from our modeling such a way of being. Even though few may have the ears to hear the call and answer it, it is good for me to remember that the call nevertheless is intended for everyone. As one who has a small portion of this inner Knowing I feel a responsibility to reach out to the many who still may lead lives of "quiet desperation".

1 Comments:

Blogger martin said...

Almaas is a great teacher. One day I intend to join a Diamond Approach group here in the UK.

I agree with what you say about therapy, it is still often thought of as something one does when one is on the verge of a breakdown or seriously depressed.

The concept that someone may go to a therapist in order to grow-up is completely foreign.

5/10/2005 10:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google
 
Web The Integral Path