Friday, April 22, 2005

THE VOW: THE CHRIST AND THE BODHISATTVA

Posted by Hello


"Thus by the virtue collected
Through all that I have done,
May the pain of every living creature
Be completely cleared away!

May I be the doctor and the medicine
And may I be the nurse
For all sick beings in the world
Until everyone is healed!

May a rain of food and drink descend
To clear away the pain of thirst and hunger,
And during the eon of famine
May I myself change into food and drink!

May I become an inexhaustible treasure
For those who are poor and destitute;
May I turn into all the things they need
And may these be placed close beside them!

Without any sense of loss
I shall give up my body and enjoyments,
As well as my virtues of past, present, future,
For the sake of benefitting all!

By giving up all, sorrow is transcended
And my mind will realize the sorrowless state.
It is best that I now give everything to all beings
In the same way as I shall at death!

Having given this body up
For the pleasure of all living beings,
By killing, abusing, and beating it,
May they always do as they please!

Although they may play with my body,
And make it a source of jest and blame,
Because I have given it up to them,
What is the use of holding it dear?

Therefore I shall let them do anything to it,
As long as it does not cause them harm,
And whenever anyone encounters me,
May it never be meaningless for him!

Whether those who encounter me
Conceive a faithful or an angry thought,
May that always become the source
For fulfilling all their wishes!

May all who say bad things to me
Or cause me any other harm,
And those who mock and insult me
Have the fortune to awaken fully!

May I be Savior of those without one,
A guide for all travellers on the way;
May I be a bridge, a boat, and a ship,
For all who wish to cross the water!

May I be an island for those who seek one,
And a lamp for those desiring light!
May I be a bed for all who wish to rest,
And a slave for all who want a slave!

May I be a wishing jewel, a magic vase,
Powerful mantras, and great medicine,
May I become a wish-fulfilling tree,
And a cow of plenty for the world!

Just like space
And the great elements such as earth,
May I always suport the life
Of all the countless creatures!

And until they pass away from pain,
May I also be the source of life
For all the realms of varied beings
That reach unto the ends of space!

Just as the previous Sugatas
Conceived the spirit of enlightenment,
And just as they successively lived
In the Bodhisattva practices,

Likewise for the sake of all that lives
Do I conceive the Spirit of Enlightenment,
And likewise shall I too
Successively follow the practices."

The Christ and the Bodhisattva

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google
 
Web The Integral Path