Wednesday, June 08, 2005

THE LOCUS OF TRANSFORMATION

Pogo

This has always been a favorite cartoon of mine and I hesitate to add any comments because I feel in its wonderful simplicity it expresses a truth drawn from the deepest of wells. From time to time you hear from people who have friends in AA or Alanon who have come to the conclusion that the world would do well to head many of the principles promoted in these recovery organizations. One such principle foundational to "working the steps" is performing a fearless and searching moral inventory of the mistakes we were resonsible for amidst our troubles Most people get stuck at the point of truth that "this world and its people were often wrong". But for the fortunate ones that let wisdom permeate their souls, it is realized that the field of battle ( a term that would be familiar to St. Theresa of Avila) is our own back yard. The real hope of changing a conflicting drama in our lives is to change ourselves. In a painful scene illustrating this reality, Jesus drives home this insight to a wounded and demoralized Peter after he had publicly denied Jesus and abandoned him in Jesus' greatest time of need. "When they had finished eating, Jesus said to Simon Peter, 'Simon son of John, do you truly love me more than these?' 'Yes Lord,' he said, 'you know that I love you.' Jesus said, 'Feed my lambs.' Again Jesus said, 'Simon son of John, do you truly love me?' He answered, 'Yes, Lord, you know that I love you.' Jesus said, 'Take care of my sheep.' The third time he said to him, 'Simon son of John, do you love me?' Peter was hurt because Jesus asked him the third time, 'Do you love me?' He said, 'Lord, you know all things; you know that I love you.' Jesus said, 'Feed my sheep. Follow me.' Peter turned and saw that the disciple whom Jesus loved was following them. (This was the one who had leaned back agaisnt Jesus at the supper and had said, 'Lord, who is going to betray you?" When Peter saw him, he asked, 'Lord, what about him?' Jesus answered, 'If I want him to remain alive until I return, what is that to you? You must follow me." Truly this world and its people are often quite wrong, and I pray for the grace to be able to offer them the tolerance, pity, patience and kindness I would hope they might offer me. But the injunction is clear; as to the fate of those who have harmed me, "what is that to you?'. You must follow me."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google
 
Web The Integral Path